Monday 17 February 2014

Sunday Spotlight - Danyelle Barnes

This weeks Sunday Spotlight is Danyelle Barnes. Her loc journey began while she was in college. 



Locs 'N Tatts: how old are you and where are you from?

Danyelle: I'm 25 years old and I'm from Maryland, but I've lived in Virginia since 2007. The little town I'm from is about 20 miles north of Baltimore, MD.

Locs 'N Tatts: How long have you had locs for?

Danyelle: had them for about 3.5 years. I got them in July 2010.

Locs 'N Tatts: Same as me, I started mine on the 26th I believe.

Danyelle: I saw you have purple, that's the color I want next.

Locs 'N Tatts: It's actually a reddish brown now, I dyed it a few weeks ago. Definitely try purple, it's cool and funky. Do you find that your locs are really dry now that you dye them?

Danyelle: Well, I always had dry hair but I'm a bit more conscious of it and make sure I moisturize more. Not cute walking around with flakes everywhere.




Locs 'N Tatts: What oils/products do you use to combat dryness?

Danyelle: Right now, I'm using jojoba oil, tea tree oil. I look for things for products that have a thicker content to actually get into my scalp, but at the same time will not leave residue.

Locs 'N Tatts: Tea Tree oil is great for dry scalp. How often do you oil your scalp?

Danyelle: The tea tea stuff I have is like a cream so I do that a few times a week, but the joboba oil I do every day, maybe more depending on the type of style I have if have those hard to reach places.

Locs 'N Tatts: Ah yes, nothing like trying to oil your scalp when your locs are styled. What inspired you to loc your hair?

Danyelle: Well, I had been natural for sometime, but I just wanted to do something different. Was to scared to chop my hair off, so why not try locs. First time I made a decision and didn't really care what anybody thought. I love the versatility and uniqueness of locs. No one's locs look the same. I can do the same thing with my locs that others can do with their natural hair. A lot of people think that you can't do much with them. False. I'm about to be corny, but locs are like snowflakes, no 2 are the same. During my journey, I've learned patience, that I actually have 'good hair',  and that it's okay if every loc isn't in the right place. The messier the better.




Locs 'N Tatts: Locs are very versatile, I didn't actually realise how much until I started mine. Did you have a positive or negative reaction to you starting locs from your family & friends?

Danyelle: It was positive for the most part. I just know when I'm going home that I either already need to have a fresh retwist or make an appointment. I don't like to go too long letting them go, but I'm just lazy sometimes. Most times I do my own hair, and now that they are getting longer faster, it takes longer to retwist. 

Locs 'N Tatts: How long does it take you to retwist yourself?

Danyelle: At one point I could do it in an hour, especially if I was on a time crunch, but even it still doesn't take more than 2 hours. Just watch a good movie, and time flies by but your arms hurt.

Locs 'N Tatts: Wow! It takes me the best part of a day to retwist mine. I'm going to try that and just sit there catching up on my shows. You have tattoos as well as locs, how many do you have?

Danyelle: Only 2, itching for more.
  
Locs 'N Tatts: Same here, where are yours and what are they of?

Danyelle: On my arm and on my wrist. On my arm is a track shoe, I ran in high school and some of college. On my wrist is a West African symbol meaning Love never loses its way home.



Locs 'N Tatts: Awesome, I have a West African symbol on the back of my neck, a Sankofa. What will you get next and where?

Danyelle: Great question! Not exactly sure but I like things to kind of go together, so something dealing with family, things I enjoy, words of wisdom. I really want a half sleeve. Although it has been years since my last tattoo, the needle and I are not strangers. I'm so indecisive when it comes to placement, size, artist, etc.

Locs 'N Tatts: Makes sense, tattoos tell a story, no point in getting something random. Have you had any negative reactions to you having tattoos?

Danyelle: No, can't see them most of the time. So a lot of people don't know that I have them.



You can find Danyelle on instagram - @Dany_TheMeanOn3


No comments:

Post a Comment